Ranji trophy history:
The finest part of Indian cricket is the performer’s abilities. The team is not depending upon a single person to accomplish every time each player has unique skills when they reveal they become heroes. Now the question climbs: where do they get skills? from the coaching staff. How? They get it by playing continuously. How can someone play often to get experience? Is only by playing in domestic cricket. Most of the players come to the Indian team by playing domestic cricket with some exceptional conditions.
87 years of domestic first-class cricket was coveted with the prestigious Ranji Trophy begins in the year 1934 played between regional and state cricket teams. The term Ranji comes from India’s first cricketer Ranjitsinhji. Once the captain of team India Bhupinder Singh the Maharaja of Patiala donated the trophy. The first match of the Ranji Trophy took place in Madras at the Chepauk Stadium between Madras and Mysore. In the year 2020 to 2021, the Ranji trophy was called off due to the covid-19 pandemic.
Teams with first-class stature, state teams, cricket association clubs, Railway teams, union territories are desirable to take part in the tournament. There are a total of 38 teams currently participating in the tournament which is to be started in the middle of January 2022, 14 teams were not able to continue in Ranji due to divergences of various states in which they belong.
In the early stages, they fiddled with geographical structure and played knock out games, and later they were divided into zones and decided by the league matches various changes were brought before the start of the season from 2018, Elite group A, B consisting of 9 teams each, Group C with 10 and Plate group with 10. Totally 8 teams will be qualified to knock out stages based on the points but only one from plate group D, the team ending with low points and finishing at the bottom will be moved to plate group in the next seasons. Teams qualified to knock out stages will bestride to elite groups in their next season.
The winner gets 6, for a loss 0, no result 1, win by innings or 10 wicket win gets 1 bonus point (6+1), with a lead in first innings or depletion but the match went to a draw gets 1.
The dominant force in the Ranji trophy in Mumbai(Bombay), they lifted this trophy 41 times in 86 seasons.1958-1973 Mumbai were a team to achieve greater victories taking the trophy home 15 times. Karnataka with 8, Delhi 7, Tamilnadu 2.
- High team score 935/5 Hyderabad vs Andhra 1993-94
- Low team score 21 Hyderabad vs Rajasthan 2010
- Round with the highest individual score 435 * B.B Nimbalkar Maharashtra vs Kathiawar 1948-49
- Best bowling in innings 10/20 Premangshu Chatterjee Bengal vs Assam 1956-57
- Best bowling in a match 16/99 Anil Kumble Karnataka vs Kerala 1994-95
- Most runs in season 1415 VVS Laxman Hyderabad 1999-2000
- Most Centuries in season 7 Wasim Jaffer Mumbai 1999-2000
- Most wickets in a season 68 Ashutosh Aman Bihar 2018-19
- Most Matches in Ranji 155 Wasim Jaffer 1966-2020
- Most career runs 12038 Wasim Jaffer 1996-2020
- Most career centuries 40 Wasim Jaffer
- Highest Batting average 98.35 Vijay Merchant 1934-1951
- Most wickets in career 640 Rajinder Goel 1958-85
The good test cricket from all-states playing at different conditions sporting their talent fighting hard for team victory and attempting to turn the focus of Indian selectors on them.